The accolades keep rolling in for Subaru's BRZ sports coupe
, which has now been named Fun-est Car of the Year in TopGear Australia magazine.
In a 14-page feature in the January edition of TopGear Australia, BRZ is tested against seven heavyweight contenders, the Toyota 86, BMW M135i, Porsche 911 Carrera, Audi RS5, Ford Focus ST and Renault Megane RS265.
TopGear says: "Using his unique powers, the Stig identifies the very reason we all end up voting for the Subaru as our Fun COTY. We'd love either one, but the BRZ handles better. A different suspension setting means it leans a little less and is even more composed than the Toyota on the slithers of tarmac…The 86 is the more slidey beast, and that means a hell of a lot of fun, too. But for those not looking to Sebastien Loeb their way around, the Subaru offers the more sensible, but still largely psychotic. option.”
Top Gear concludes: "…on this particular day, on this particular road, the BRZ was the car we lusted after more than any other - no small feat considering a Porsche 911, Boxster, Megane, 265 and BMW M135i were left lonely by the side of the road as we scrambled for the affordable coupe's keys. That said, the BRZ's ability to leave far more expensive, and powerful, cars in its wake isn’t surprising. What is, however, is the BRZ’s ability to steal the spotlight of its near-identical twin, Toyota's 86, too.
"On the tight, twisty, alpine hill climb where this test was done, the tiny changes in the suspension set-up between the two cars was enough to make the difference. The BRZ simply felt more composed, less tail-happy and thus faster than the 86…"
"So there you have it, both amazingly competent, game-changing sports coupes, but with enough tiny quirks of character for there to there to be a sliver of sunlight between them. Twins, but not identical."
Among BRZ's other recent wins:
• Wheels Car of the Year 2012
• News Limited/Carsguide Car of the Year 2012
• Carsales Australia network's People's Choice Best Performance Car Under $100,000 (with the Toyota 86)
• Best Sports Car of 2013, from the Canadian Autos.ca website
• BRZ engine – winner, 2013 Ward's 10 "Best Engines", United States
• 2013 Sports Car of the Year by Canadian website Auto123.com
• 2012-2013 Japan Car of the Year "Special Award" (with the Toyota 86)
• 2012 Sports Car of the Year in French car magazine,Echappement